My Photo
Name:
Location: Los Angeles, CA

Sunday, May 01, 2005

Guilty Pleasures

Sorry to all of you who thought that this post would be something interesting. Maybe now you'll learn what misleading headlines can do to and for you.

In any case, I went to see HITCHHIKERS' GUIDE TO THE GALAXY this afternoon with my daughter and thoroughly enjoyed it. Now, I say this with the utmost caution, because I understand that the film is a bit of a mess that is saved mostly by the twin facts of 1) an incredibly dry sense of English humor and, 2) being faithful to the spirit of the radio show and books upon which the film is based and which, to be absolutely frank, I am completely in love with.

I can understand how someone with no fondness for science fiction or super dry humor might find this film incomprehensible and, to quote a friend, "utterly fucking boring." But that's not how we saw it. Aside from a performance by Zooey Deschanel that made me wish that her role had been played by a formation of rocks, there's quite a wonderful spirit in the film. The brutal send-up of science fiction cliches, is made even more potent by the fact that this is a FILM and, therefore, can have a soundtrack reminiscent of every John Williams soundtrack ever recorded (which, ultimately, seems like one long soundtrack -- except for CATCH ME IF YOU CAN) and can have special effects that seem completely ripped off from every rip-off of STAR WARS every made.

There are moments in the film, in particular with the R2D2/Eeyore character voiced by Alan Rickman, that made me laugh out loud. And there are also very few moments in the film when I felt I needed to look at my watch, check my email or see if the people behind me were awake. And those are great accomplishments in a movie nowadays.

In short, if you've ever liked science fiction you might to take a gander at this movie.