My Photo
Name:
Location: Los Angeles, CA

Tuesday, October 25, 2005

High Def, USC and Me

I've been out of commission for a week or so and will probably continue to be so for a bit because I've been back East for a long weekend to see my daughter at college (Parents' Day is a pretty cool invention) and am going up to the Sundance Institute this Thursday to take part in a small symposium on HD in Education. Should we do it? What are the problems with doing it? What are the options?

At USC, we are slowly dipping our toes into the HD world. It's an expensive proposition, even with two cameras that were dropped on us by Sony. The rest of world is still figuring out how best to deal with HD and even which flavor of HD they like. We're no different, except with a hell of a lot less money.

For a bit, it looked like HDV would be one way to deal with it. Cheaper cameras, Final Cut and Avid both handle it sort of natively. But Sony's 24p -- frames per second -- looks terrible, so it would be difficult to use HDV to teach a real HD workflow (for those of you who don't know -- "workflow" is the buzzword of 2005; last year it was "collaboration", this year it's "workflow"). We'd still have to invest in decks and upgrading most of the Avids we've got.

So, we're back to looking at HD. The F900 type (for those of you who know what I'm talking about, congratulations, since I don't). Maybe I'll pick up some real knowledge this weekend.

In the meantime, don't expect me to be very contributive. Just click on some of the good people's links over there to your left.