My Photo
Name:
Location: Los Angeles, CA

Wednesday, May 18, 2005

Where Have All The Bumper Stickers Gone?

Stuck behind a massive Toyota Fucking Forerunner this morning on the Santa Monica Freeway (that's Santa Monica Expressway, to those of you back East, and "the 10" to those of you in LA), I noticed that it had three bumper stickers for an AM radio station plastered on its rear.

Then it occurred to me that I rarely see bumper stickers on cars or trucks anymore. When I was growing up everyone had some of them stuck on their car's butt-end. We had one for a while from Howe Caverns, a tourist attraction in New York, where families would safely wander through caves and learn that "stalactites" dropped down from the ceiling and "stalagmites" grew up from the ground.

Perhaps it's the rise of leased autos, or perhaps its the rise of advertising everywhere else in the entire world but a quick look around me on the freeway/expressway/parkway/10 turned up not one single other vehicle that had sullied its surface with a bumper sticker.

It's hard to know whether that's an improvement or not.