My Photo
Name:
Location: Los Angeles, CA

Monday, June 20, 2005

I Am My Own Wife

This Pulitzer winning play, I AM MY OWN WIFE, is playing at the Wadsworth up at UCLA and the family trotted over to see it last night. It's an interesting tour de force, the type that audiences (myself included) really like -- one guy plays 35 characters (though most of them are minor -- there are about four or five major characters).

The subject matter might be a little tough for some -- a transvestite antique collector tries to move through Nazi Germany and, later, the East German government (two of the most repressive regimes of all time, according to the play).

Jeffrey Mays is great as most of those characters, and it's great to see live theatre, especially if you're a filmmaker type and spend most of your time with performances that are frozen in time.